View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2020, 8:30 pm   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Westminster clock.

Regarding the depth, there are two extremes, one is so deep that the escape wheel does not clear the pallets and the other is not deep enough so that the wheel is not locked. Be very careful about the latter. If the escape wheel spins and catches the pallets, as Nick says the result is disaster!

I find that somewhere in between is quite satisfactory, particularly on a recoil escapement like yours. I haven't found it to be particularly critical and a little experimenting will make it run. Again,as Nick says, a tiny amount of clock oil on the pallets can be helpful but I have found this to be more so with a deadbeat escapement.

Regarding the beat, there isn't a "right" answer for the position of the pallets in relation to the plates. Some are designed to be at an angle and some not. You can initially set it up on the kitchen work surface or similar but the final adjustment should really be made in the place where it is to live and facing outwards. If the clock runs only for a short period and has been cleaned and oiled properly (and isn't too worn) the beat being out is the most likely cause.