Thread: Aiwa AD-F410
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:42 pm   #1
tapehobby
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aiwa AD-F410

I have an Aiwa AD-F410 that I have not used for some years (but was working when put away). On powering up there was no tape movement of any description. After looking on YouTube I found a helpful video by Goran Dzambazov. He describes the classic symptoms of a worn drive belt and my machine was displaying exactly the same, so I ordered said parts that duly arrived. However replacing the belt had no affect (and I have to say the ‘old’ one looked OK to me).

Further observation shows that (with belt removed) as I power up the unit the capstan motor turns on for about one second and then stops and the same happens when I power the unit down. Observing the voltage on the motor, it does reach approximately 12V whilst running. My logic suggests that this points to an issue with the control circuit rather than the actual motor. Would you concur? I think I have read somewhere that the capstan motor runs continuously in this unit.

I appreciate the unit might be beyond economical repair, but was hoping to use this to transfer some important cassettes onto digital media.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.