View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2016, 7:46 pm   #113
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Old torches - anyone here collect them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Just a thought, would anyone happen to know what bulb was fitted originally and what battery? Anyone got an original battery so I can copy it?
Right, first photo is of the bulb that would have been fitted. It is 3.5V, 0.3A with U filament. This means that the central beam spot given is much larger, more spread out - and with an illuminated U as part of the beam. The 2.5V, 0.3A S filament bulbs also work well, with 3 Volt supply. What bulb have you fitted? To get close to intended as possible you need a bulb with as low set and long filament as possible.

Second photo is of the Ever Ready version of your light - same handle and catch on the back, but mine has a watch glass type front lens. I fitted a bulb of my own making - Xenon Mag bulb, potted into a MES holder - it did not like modern bulbs at all.

Third is the Ever Ready design 'Bullsi' (correct spelling) - you can see the glass is much thicker - and another photo shows all the bubbles that glow.

Well done on getting yours working, and the flickering switch can be cured by cleaning all contacts with a glass fibre pen - check the underside cointacts too - these are usually high impedance due to corrosion. The whole circuit should be 0.2-0.3 Ohms, any more and you have a weak spot. Solder can be used if needed.

This is the battery the lamp would take (not my photo) http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...mage176a-1.jpg

I use a buck circuit in all my lamps - stops any flicker and makes the bulbs last a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1117.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	132695   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1118.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	132696   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1119.jpg
Views:	350