View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2012, 8:22 pm   #67
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: BSR Record Player Decks

The BSR C129 R2 in post #50.. Does it have a cueing lever?
If not the model I saw in the family Ferguson Studio 7 Music Centre was a C141 as I do recall it had anti-skate.

I had a Fidelity UA15 record player. It had the same deck with the following on the label:
C129R1-K-1
WC.3897/385
0.24.S.L.8
The major issues I had with that was a SX6M cartridge with a hardened notch thingy the stylus shank rests on. Eventually it dawned on my why the SX6M was so particular about styli & it was junked in favour of a SC12H clone from Tandy.
This was 1993 and I think BSR had ceased trading then. Astec (BSR) PLC in Wollaston, Stourbridge West Midlands.
The Ferguson was surplus to requirements around then & I thought about robbing it for the turntable & of course I did not know it was a variant of the same model
In the end I did not bother, because it looked like the slimmer arm only accepted a SC12H cartridge.
My letter to BSR was answered by a gentleman in Shifnall, Shropshire, which was why I assumed BSR had gone 'pop'. The gent did supply a Xerox of BSR technical data on stereo cartridges though.
The Fidelity I considered to be a step up from a Portadyne suitcase with a C129-C-1 (post #1 pic #4). The Portadyne was must have had a single valve, excl rectifier because it had a X5H cartridge.
Neil Purling is offline   Reply With Quote