View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2018, 12:07 pm   #48
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: JRC NRD515 HF Coms Receiver, 1982, FM on VFO?

Not only is this the first NRD 515/Phasing thread on the Forum, it has been a very interesting read [well the bits I understand anyway] and it will be a useful resource for the future. Just to report back on the, unusual, offer I made to the Forum [in post 17] I did get exactly the right response from another Member. He has the technical background that I lack and experience of two later NRD sets. He was prepared to make the trek [and it really is a trek for him] to the South Coast and we have agreed a sale. The whole kit and caboodle will be collected in September.

I know we always like to hear about outcomes on here. Thanks again to Radio 1950 for starting things off in the first place and [inadvertently] the whole chain of events that has assisted me. I'm also grateful to anyone who has offered advice, particularly David [p20] and Damien [p11 onwards]. Getting things sorted was interesting. I'd kept the gear clean and dry for over two decades [the main units were wrapped in the Bury Times and Daily Mail from November 2002] I'd put everything together much more efficiently than I had thought and located the Rx/Tx/PSU/Spkr/Memory unit and Controller + original paperwork and the relevant Manuals immediately. I've never seen anyone refer to having BOTH the Rx and Tx before and the potential purchaser was able to point out that the linking cable has a non-standard plug at one end, making it somewhat crucial. I was about to embark on a prolonged search at both ends of the country when I thought to double check
The Tx was at the bottom of the box and under the Mic [below ancient newspaper I found that TWO leads were plugged into it-too obvious] so full steam ahead!

The new owner tells me he will begin a slow regime of examination, monitoring and restoring to function this elaborate setup. I'm hopeful he may be able to report back on that here in due course but of course, that will be up to him.
I only wish that the Widow of the original owner was still with us. She and he would have been pleased to know these classic items have found a home where they will be used and appreciated.

Dave W

Bexhill

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Aug 2018 at 12:14 pm.