View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 1:11 am   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Radiophile Magazine

I take your point Sam but... I've only ever met Chas three times. I've always had a high opinion re the originality and independence of his approach and the commitment to his magazine, including his wife's Jo's cover paintings of an extraordinary standard. I've been even more impressed with the way in which Graham has stepped forward recently to not only help but progress the Radiophile in a way I never imagined would ever happen. In [I think 1995] I heard about Radiophile and went to Warrington in search of a Radio event they were attending-no luck! My wife said try the newsagents. I was looking in Practical Wireless [convinced it had been advertised there] with no success. The lady behind the counter asked what I was after and then said there is a Radio thing on at the local Community Centre! I was very glad to buy a vast number of back numbers from Chas and Jo at their stall and I have been a subscriber ever since.

Two things have always irritated me.

[1] As Forum members began to subscribe, they would often say what's happened to the latest edition? Well perhaps they they weren't to know what was obvious to "old timers" that Chas was often unusually plagued with computing and printing problems/let downs and a number of significant mechanical [vehicle] difficulties plus his own unfortunate ill-health episodes that even included a really serious Bee sting call out. I've posted here on a number of occasions over the years that some delay or difficulty is all a part of the joy and like the Pony Express, he always gets through in the end!

[2] On the other hand, Chas has been making this complaint for nearly a quarter of a century now, warning people that it affects getting the magazine out and saying that he didn't want his meals interrupted etc [apparently someone always rang]. Given his attitude and that he repeatedly advised his opening hours in print and who to contact, I was surprised that people just kept on ringing I would never have ever considered doing that at all, especially just to enquire about the next edition Ironically the only time I have ever rung him up was in response to a very courteous letter he sent to me pointing out that I had paid my subs twice With great trepidation I plucked up my courage and telephoned, only to find we had such a great chat I told him to put the extra money towards the Radiophile. To subscribers I can only say, don't ring him, he's not getting any younger! To Chas I say take the phone OFF THE HOOK! This is what I do all the time. People who don't watch Coronation Street themselves think it's a great time to ring. If I am sitting down to a much expected meal, I take the same precaution.

Professor Higgs Boson [Cerne] was told by his son that he really should have a mobile phone. When he asked why? his son said "So people can get in touch". He said "I don't want to be contacted when I am thinking about the Universe".

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 10th Jun 2018 at 1:17 am.