View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2020, 10:01 pm   #13
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: We are the Champions

Belling claimed these heaters were safe in the presence of children, and couldn't cause harm even if knocked over. See the attached page from their 1961 catalogue.

I must say I like these heaters. I have a 91A, 92A and an 83A model as listed in the catalogue. The design is simple but very effective. Air flows through the heater fast enough to prevent it getting too hot. There's no noisy fan either, in fact pretty much nothing to go wrong. Old ones frequently turn up in car boot sales, still working after decades. Just about the only thing that usually needs replacing is the original rubber insulated mains cable. The only other major problem is rust, if the heater has been stored in a damp environment.

The Belling Champion remained in production for a long time (beginning in the 1930s), with subtle design changes over the years. I'm not sure exactly when they were discontinued but I came across one with serial number 71/xxxxxx so possibly made in 1971 (it had the new colour-coded mains wiring).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1961_belling_catalogue.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	197192