View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 11:37 am   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Homebrew Strowger exchange

Hello, I know next to nothing about telephones and would like some advice - please go easy on me!

My 4 year old daughter found my box of battered old 746 telephones I acquired over the years and was fascinated by them. She's been (fairly) patiently helping me strip them down and give them a deep clean - filthy nicotine soaked, paint spattered and grimy as they were, truly "mossy".

I've now rigged up a pair in her bedroom with a 9V battery and she loves them. I'd now like to take it to the next step and make them ring and, if possible, rig up a few more extensions and make a mini-exchange. I've not much more than a vague idea of how it all works but would it be as simple as one/two uniselector(s) and a few relays or is it a lot more complicated than that.

I'm thinking something simple that would allow any one out of ten 'phone be able to dial any other which would then ring.

Would making a homebrew strowger exchange be a possibility, a weekend project or a long term labour of love?

Does anyone have ideas where I should start to look for inspiration? I've done some googling and reading about linefinders and allocators but I'm not sure how/if I can do away with them in a simple exchange like this - would it just need a simple relay for each subscriber?

Any ideas or inspiration would be appreciated

D

D