View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 9:50 am   #13
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: RAF WWII "Darkie" System

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
No, they used their TR9 or TR1196 set as far as I am aware. They still carried these, unlike fighters that did not have the space.

There were VHF d/f services, but that wasn't Darky.
George,
I simply don't accept that!
I can find no evidence whatsoever of the TR9 or TR1196 being retained in addition to the TR1143 or SCR-522. (There is one specific exception, and that was in the specially modified Lancasters used in the 'Dambusters' raid, so there may have been other specific cases, but I'm talking about the standard fit in the thousands of 'ordinary' aircraft).
I've never seen a single picture showing the pilot's position equipped with two controllers, one for each system, or any wiring diagram showing both fitted. The VHF sets were (in the Lancaster) mounted on the port fuselage wall aft of the W/Op, in the same location as the TR1196, again I've never seen a picture showing two.
The wiring to accommodate two pilot's RT systems would get quite complex, so I'm guessing that in the case of the Dambusters aircraft one system would have been 'standalone', perhaps operated by the W/Op or Navigator, but I have no evidence.

Andy