View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 8:40 pm   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Why both 33 and 45 ?

I was explaining the limitations of cutting records to my daughter today and how the Rolling stones produced an LP [AFTERMATH] of extended length beyond the usual 22 minutes a side or so [although that was perfect for taping two LP's on C90 cassettes]. I said the Stones had a top class engineer doing the cutting very carefully to maximise the quality. In the end it was a little muddy but other wise very acceptable if not that Hi Fi. l mentioned that the EP was a sort of half way house ie holding 4 tracks at 45 rpm. No comment on these so far. The info put up by Synchrodyne at post 21* [c] seems to "chime" with the EP mode being adopted. Any expert comment on this technical factor?

Was the EP a commercial move to make more sales? We thought so at the time but even so they were very popular as it was often a cheaper concentration of existing hits, new or live material.

Re Clive's comment at 23 re faster speeds people used to quote that as a rule of thumb re Record and Tape speeds but I suppose LP's at 45 would not be as practical. A lot of 78's have an amazing quality and presence spinning round at somewhere in the region of 80 rpm so that seems to support the argument somewhat! It must have seemed a fantastic break though though when it became possible to get long recordings on vinyl at 33 rpm-as opposed to a suitcase full of 78's.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 16th Nov 2018 at 9:09 pm.