Old 29th May 2020, 8:18 pm   #40
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Marshall Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul JD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
Fortunately, audio is much easier than whisky flavour because it's measurable.

Time I think to get the scope on to a Marshall and find out something about its gain structure.
Hmmm, try telling some of the cork sniffing "tube rollers" that... They will assure you their ears are far more sensitive than any oscilloscope and they can hear things that can't be measured!

The gain structure will depend a lot on which Marshall amp you are looking at. Older versions with no master volume control will behave a lot like you describe with power amp distortion starting first but a lot of the more recent models will have higher gain preamp stages with most of the distortion coming from the preamp valves. A word of advice if you are going to start driving a non master volume Marshall into distortion I would recommend getting some good ear defenders! Once you turn that volume knob much above about 2 they start to get pretty loud pretty quickly!
So.....the Marshall pre-amp is also a volume limiter. The overload characteristic of the ECC83 is all important to the sound of the end result. Unexplored audio territory I guess.

Martin