View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 9:02 pm   #34
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: My first valve radio project - Philips 462A

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo.girl View Post
I've order some 22nF @ 50V wkg - sounds like this is far too low then. I'll have to get some 630V ones in too.

Should I do the same for C21 (also a 22nF cap).
For C28 I would go for one at 1,000 volt DC working, that should be good to 350 volts AC.

For the rest and anything for future valve restorations a lot of folks including me would use 630 v DC working ones, those will cover most applications except if X Class and Y Class capacitors are required which are specials for interference suppression across the mains (X Class) and ones for interference suppression between mains and earth (Y Class) and ones to provide isolation between the chassis and any external inputs on potential live chassis stuff such as antenna, earth and pickup inputs etc, those also need to be Y Class types, no need to think about those for your present project though so far as I can tell but it's something you can Google about to understand what's what about X Class and Y Class types.

PS. Some folks use 400 v DC working capacitors, it's for you to decide but 400 volt DC working is the minimum really even if a particular circuit position doesn't demand it, it makes ordering easier and your own "stock control" simpler and reduces the chances of unknowingly fitting a low voltage one where a higher voltage one should be...such as a grid coupling or screen decoupling capacitor.

Anyways East Enders is on now gotta go.

EDIT: Whoops...Post crossed.

Lawrence.