View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 3:17 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I'd second that. Avoid airborne dust! Even if inert, it clogs lungs. And if it's not, it could be serious. I heard of a vacuum cleaner demonstrator who had a dust bag burst on him. He was hospitalised.

And the dust in an old radio is just the same as vacuum cleaner dust. Not worth making it airborne and breathing in. We have only two lungs, and neither can be replaced.
That was the first time for me, was laid off work and taking pills for at least fortnight before I fully recovered, I was mucking out some sawdust, it was what was growing on it that got me, my breathing tubes or whatever reacted badly, basically struggling to breath, badly so and it all happened very fast, I must have mucked out tons of sawdust over the years before that incident with no protection whatsoever and not suffered any ill effects.

The second time it happened I was down the woods for the weekend to do some firewood got there late at night, pitched the Vango got a fire going for a fry up, dragged a few bits of timber around for the fire, some was a bit damp, threw it on the fire anyways, then the wind changed, breathed in a load of smoke, within a couple of minutes I was getting a wiff of the same symptoms as before but managed to lie down and reverse the situation, daylight came and I looked at the firewood I was using, some kind of fungus/bacteria on it, same as the other incident I suspect.

So that's the lesson, I suspect that wood dust from woodworm infestation could also carry the same nasty.

Lawrence.