View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 12:22 am   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: DVD Source Material 1950s

Going back to what to Emerituus said [post 16*] I have kept the Wireless World Projector/Recorder article for the best part of half a century. It's incredible to see it mentioned here: it seemed to be such a clever notion although I didn't understand that the running cost would be horrendous.
The "recorder" itself resembled an old fashioned plate cameras set up with a sort of cape covering the machine in a darkened room but in the days when a video recording seemed to be an impossible dream, it was very intriguing Sort of a home tele cine machine

This was a time when every thing was going on but the establishment decided what to film ...we youngsters were largely helpless due to cost and the conventional attitudes about what to film [and keep].
When Pennebaker brought out light weight 16mm cameras in the sixties [famously Don't Look Back...Dylan] that was a great step forward and a gift to history. In the nineties CH4 started using semi-pro Sony cameras hand held and changed the standard again by realising that the content was actually more important to the viewer than studio quality resolution.

These days anything can be captured endlessly and easily but then thrown away and forgotten... like Diana's Funeral flowers perhaps. Now we are trying to recover anything that we can but the contemporary record is [perhaps] devalued.

I hope that I'm wrong on this

Dave W