View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 9:21 pm   #55
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Excellent. You have applied mains without smoke. The heater chain looks intact. I'm a little concerned that the LOP valve and boost diode (in the LOP can) are cold. They have fairly hefty heaters and should get slightly warm from those alone. When they are running properly they get hot. I think you will need a couple of 100W bulbs in parallel to get things going. A 100W bulb takes about 400mA from the mains. The heater chain alone takes 300mA so there will be nothing like full mains on the set, possibly not even enough to get the valves emitting properly.

From memory I think there are separate main and HT fuses. I would be tempted to put the lamp limiter in the HT circuit only, instead of the fuse. This means the heaters would be running at full power while the HT was still protected by the lamp. I am aware that the John Wakely "Real Man" school would say just give the whole set full mains and see what happens. I'm still a devout coward.

Once the heaters are at something like full power the next step is to check that HT is present. If it is, there may well be minor noises from the speaker and a buzz from the field timebase. If your ears can still hear that high you may even hear line whistle.

The metrosil is supposed to improve EHT regulation but seems a waste of time to me.