View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 10:50 am   #50
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

Many thanks for the nudge Andrew and I don't think it was cheeky so nudge away any-time; thanks for the kind comments and hopefully this TV will be working before too long.

Many thanks for the advice Sean and I will indeed remove the mains cap before applying power; I hope the overload was due to such a simple fault but I'm also concerned as the original LOPT was so badly charred; no doubt the answer will be found once I hook up the Variac.

Many thanks also Jeffrey for your welcome advice. I did operate the switch many times and it had a very positive feel with a good loud click so I expected it to be in good working order. It was only when I used my meter to determine the connections that I could not obtain a continuity reading across any pair of the four tags; I tried lots of times as I thought it rather odd for both pairs to be O/C; I was actually just checking to establish which tag to solder the mains live to.

The picture of the switch shows what I found when I opened it up; the end of one of the strip contacts has been completely blown away by what appears to be an overload hence it would never make contact; I'm still rather puzzled though why there is no continuity between the other two tags but I'll play around with it today and add the results later.

I do appreciate all these suggestions and advice; I've already printed off the long list kindly supplied by John together with other very useful advice supplied by members and will use this to work from.

I'm aware many members reading these notes will too be TV novices and if they move over to TV then perhaps they will find similar mains switch problems. I have experience of working on live radio chassis and in the past have connected power directly to a chassis using a remote switch being very aware of the danger. I am keen to see first light on the this TV but will take my time and have no intention of taking silly dangerous risks to do so and would caution other novices to resist such temptation as it could prove fatal. My first test on power up is always to check if the chassis is live; I have a number of mains connection options these being the usual in series 100W lamp; Variac and also an isolation transformer the circuit is further protected by a 1A fuse. I'd rather be careful and take my time than be sorry.

Whilst on safety and new to TV can experienced members please advise on any danger associated with the CRT covering material as I understand this is live holding the charge for a period even though switched off and if so because I'm working in such close confines with it how is it best discharged? I did say I would be asking all the silly questions but this is how I learn. Thank you for your patience.

It's time I did something useful like sorting out the switch.

Kind regards, Col.