Thread: 240, 405 & 625
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 8:25 pm   #19
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: 240, 405 & 625

Quote:
We actually exported many 625 line TV sets from the late 40's to the early 70's and they gained an excellent reputation abroad.

If our Dual standard sets were so bad at the time why are they now once restored now giving excellent results without the horrible grey pictures they did in the mid 60's. I think it was only after duplication that 625 was any good here.
I'm not sure that I'd say that restored ones are 'excellent' on 625 (having done a couple myself and seen many more). The 'grey' pictures of the time were probably largely down to low-gain valve UHF tuners having short lives. With restricted use, this situation probably doesn't arise now. Then there's the problem of poor UHF signal strength in a lot areas, exacerbated by inadequate aerials. I've yet to see a mid-sixties one that is really good on 625 - but I have an open mind on that.

If you have a reference for your << excellent reputation abroad >> it would be useful to post it; my impression has always been the opposite!Does the Setmakers have anything to say on this?

Now, I really MUST get back to my writing!!!!!!

Cheers,

Paul M