View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 9:43 am   #37
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 11

Don't get too impressed with degrees, Frank. I've interviewed plenty of graduates who seemed to have no actual interest in the subject they'd qualified in, some seemed innumerate, some seemed to need telling when to think. The spectrum ranged all the way up to brilliant. I've explained to students that the piece of paper is needed to get their bum on a seat at an interview and then after that, they're on their own, expect to be grilled on their project work, set a puzzle to solve to see their thinking.

Degrees are not that difficult. I think most people, given good explanations, ought to be capable if they wanted one and had the time. The open university's material is very good indeed, and there are MIT lectures on video floating about the internet.

There's the sort of person who goes onto a degree course and comes out with a piece of paper only, then there's the one who thinks about it all and takes an interest. This one gets the piece of paper and a lot of knowledge. Some employers see only the paper, but it's the knowledge that confers the actual value.

I did a degree. A school friend did an HND at the same time. He had to do a lot more work. I was mystified somewhat. I saw how hard people on the TV course were worked. I have a lot of respect for them.

The degree seemed the easy way out and could have been if I'd just wanted the paper. But I wanted the knowledge and understanding. To get that I had to drive myself and I had to read books and effectively teach myself. Universities score brownie points for results... paper. No-one seems to check on what their product's capabilities are afterwards.

It's a weird world.

David