View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2018, 10:50 am   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Voltage standardisation

I doubt if a domestic AC supply was available in Glasgow at that time. The separate listing for 3 phase shows this as 440V presumably for factories and heavy industry as 'available'.

Only Mr Mitchell could confirm this. I bet he was very proud of his 'Power Station'.

All domestic supplies are listed for every area including both AC and DC. It Must have taken a long time to compile this lot!

Many domestic DC areas involved with coal mining, steel production and heavy industry were supplied with DC from the companies generating plant. It was only the 'electric light' and as no home appliances were available let alone affordable, it did not matter what voltage or type of supply.

To increase revenue with little expenditure, most traction/tram companies supplied current at 200V DC to private properties 'beside the track.'

Reading the listings it is amazing how many generating stations supplied DC. My own area, Horsham W. Sussex was a DC area supplied by the Borough Council! Interesting times those 1920's!
John.