View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2010, 10:22 am   #101
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
Asia Engineer on Ebay have them in stock, I ordered a set today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370325100729
Thanks for reading my post Mike, and for pointing me to that link.

On the strength of that, I've just ordered one.

I'm not building the Sussex (excellent though it is!), as I already have a Taylor 45A, but I needed a meter for a zener diode tester that I'm building. The backlit voltmeter I've just ordered was $9.99 US dollars (£6.99 GBP), post free from China!

The last one I bought was a 500V voltmeter for the Bygones capacitor reformer project.
(I actually bought two - I squirted more than 500V into the first one - they don't like it up 'em! 500V Max meant just that:-(

Best of luck to those who are building the Sussex!

I did say to Mike Rowe at the outset that it would attract a huge response which would gather pace. Perhaps the most encouraging aspect is the collaboration and team effort of so many people on the forum who are willing to help source components (Ed Dinning with the custom built transformer for example).

Also, those who've suggested modifications, shared ideas, drawn up the list of components, and are to actually build what is quite a challenging project, even though Mike has done all the research and development work.

I'm a bit of a test gear nut - often building little bits and bobs - home built scope, two frequency counters, (one from 1976 Radcom which used nixie tubes and still works fine up to 200MHz), waveform generators, transistor testers, ESR meter, signal injector/tracer, on with the RF Haigh Wobbulator....

At present, I'm trying to hold myself back from building yet another ESR meter just because it looks an appealing circuit, and a High Impedance Mosfet Voltmeter that I don't need,
(c 1986 PW design, 11 MOhm input impedance) just because I have a nice large 100uA analogue meter.

(It will all end up as "grandad's junk" of course!)

David,
G4EBT
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote