View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2019, 2:27 pm   #50
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Help to identify old Philips valve radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The tuner design is rather old fashioned for 1958.

Mike, when did RTE start VHF (presumably from Athlone)? I wondered above if this might have been the Philips Ireland launch model for the new service.
It's a horribly old tuner design for 1958.

It has to have been for UK FM radio by Cable TV and UK Radio via big masts in Dublin area (for Belfast or Wales, likely Band 1 TV aerials would have picked up UK Band II Radio). Obviously border regions would haveI'd mistakenly thought VHF Radio started the the same year as TV (which was technically 1961), but I'm told it was 1966!

[Edit: I'm sceptical about 1966, but there might only have been a more limited service from late 1961, maybe from one of the TV sites. Not Athlone AM site, it's useless for VHF. I've no idea where the lower power Dublin and Cork AM transmitters where, which had separate frequencies and programs till 1939. I didn't live in this part of Ireland till 1983 and I'm sure we had only AM in the car when visiting in the 1960s. I do remember Downtown Radio and Radio Ulster starting in NI and we used an imported Grundig for Manx Radio on VHF. We did have VHF on a Decca RG100 and later a Murphy A272 in Belfast in the early 1960s]
By 1963 or 1964 the valve sets were gone?

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 17th Jun 2019 at 2:41 pm. Reason: Sceptical