View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2018, 11:44 pm   #19
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Tuners in Philips G6-G11 CTV chassis

A question – what type of VHF tuner was used on the Australian version of the Philips K9 chassis, which would have been produced from c.1975? My recollection is that the Australian version of the K9 was unusual in having a rotary channel selector, rather than the customary push-button arrangement. Whether it was a rotary tuner per se, or simply a varicap tuner with rotary channel switching I don’t know. And at that time the tuner would have covered the Australian Band II and out-of-band channels.

Presumably it would also have had the Australian standard IF. Actually there were two such, the original 36.0 MHz VIF of 1956 and the later 36.875 MHz VIF which was in place circa 1970. Although the latter was offered as an alternative not a replacement, I think it was the dominant number in the colour era.

This question came to mind after reading this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148117.

The New Zealand version of the K9 had what I think was the European standard VHF tuner. It had six pushbuttons with corresponding presets that were calibrated with channels (E) 2 through 12, with an “automatic” flipover between Bands I and III, i.e. between channels 4 and 5. The corresponding NZ channels were generally one number lower than the European channels, and evidently there was no problem getting down to NZ1, 44 to 51 MHz, which was somewhat below E2, 47 to 54 MHz.

Cheers,