View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2018, 9:02 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: MK Plugs and their various designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricawe View Post
Wow, they must be rare I've never seen or heard of them before!, you say you used to have them, did you throw them away or are they hidden away somewhere, because they would be cool to see?
GEC Computers Ltd [GECCL] were rather an outlier from the rest of GEC: most of their stuff went to Government/Military/Industrial-types of customers and so they could easily 'pull rank' over the mainstream GEC when it came to specifying generic stuf like 13A plugs.

I don't have any of the GECCL MK-plugs any more, which is a shame. Many of them were fitted on 3-metre-long cables with an odd Bulgin-esque plug on the other end - these cables were the usual 3-core mains, with an overall close-mesh braid with a clear jacket: pigtails from the braid either end were sleeved and tied to the "E" pin of the plugs.

if I'd kept these I could no doubt sell them for mind-wateringly-high prices to the "Audiophool" community, on the basis that they were UK MoD-approved and had undergone a couple of decades of "Burn-in" at a Government site.