View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 9:31 am   #11
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Asbestos in Pye B16T?

Hello.
During my working days, I repaired many items that used high voltages. Safety and correct working practices should always be adhered to.
Regarding the OP,s TV, the previous posts make no reference to visual and cold checks. A novice should always start in this manner, slowly going through the condition of rubber cabling making sure it's not perished and leaving the wire itself exposed. Capacitors can be examined, tested and replaced in circuits that could be damaged by leaky capacitors well before powering up the set.
The EHT section can be thoroughly checked that it is safe as well prior to powering up.
I see no reason this young chap should give up on the set, simple safety rules will keep him safe, the danger of asbestos even if it was in the set is marginal so long as it's not touched and in a set with a mains transformer it's presence is highly unlikely. Treat the voltages with respect, realise the dangers and use common sense and all Will be fine. The picture tube could present more of a risk than either asbestos or EHT, remember it has a vacuum inside the glass can be as thin as a wine glass and the stresses on it are enormous, strike it or add to its stress and you could be badly cut or worse loose your sight, again be aware of the dangers, use thick industrial gloves and ideally a face mask minimally goggles when manhandling the tube. Put it in a stout cardboard box with packing in it when working on the set less the tube so it's not a hazard to trip over.
I hope you follow my advice.
Enjoy the set, keep it and don't sell it and tell your dad you are getting professional advice on this forum.
I'd be more than happy to reassure him by PM. Many years of my profession and training apprentices in safety is very relevant to what you are doing.
Enjoy

***** EDIT. Take mind in the early days of the Radio and Television trade many young boys were only 15 years old when taken on. The risks were often greater as H&S was nothing like today, people didn't drop like flies back then and often the working practices were such that it was a more dangerous environment, like I say be sensible and you'll be fine. Take your time and don't ever rush things as that's when silly mistakes are made.
Oh and never be afraid to ask even if you think it's a silly question.

Last edited by D Cassidy; 13th Aug 2017 at 9:49 am. Reason: Added further information