View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2017, 10:06 am   #5
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: Asbestos in Pye b16t?

If your dad is concerned and doesn't want you working on it, then you could sell it on here anyway. Doing that with old radios and TVs is much more preferable to simply chucking them out, especially if you paid a lot for it. TVs like this are becoming extinct and we don't need another potential worker chucked in the bin.

If this is your first vintage TV then a late 1950s or a 1960s TV may be easier and possibly safer.

Do you have any forum members living near you? They may be able to give both technical and safety advice to you and your dad, to give reassurances about his concerns but also to point out the danger zones (to both of you but especially him) and how to avoid them. And, if you don't have one, please get an isolation transformer, if anything it would reassure your dad that you are safe when working on it with the back off.

I'm not familiar with the Pye B16T, so I don't know if it's mains EHT set or not (I don't think it is but I'm not sure), but if it is, then I would advise you not to even consider working on it if your dad cares for your safety.

Last edited by AidanLunn; 12th Aug 2017 at 10:07 am. Reason: correcting "hope" for "how"