View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 3:07 pm   #1
Nibor81
Retired Dormant Member

Default Wrinkled Covering - Please Help !!

Hi,

This is my first post on this very interesting forum and I am hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a 1960's Phillips portable valve stereo record player which really works very well and appears to be in relatively unmolested condition - I have owned it for about five years and it is kept in a dry and warm room.

It is a Phillips AG- 9115/95 model and sees to be quite rare. The attached photos show images of the player for reference.

My concern is that the covering was separated in places from the base cabinet producing a wrinkled effect - which detracts from the overall otherwise excellent condition.

I would now like to try and somehow smooth out the wrinkles but internet searches have not been very fruitful.

I am sure that this issue must have affected many cabinets and I am hoping someone will be able to provide some tips on how to restore the covering.

First thoughts centre around syringing perhaps PVA glue into each wrinkle and then use a small roller to smooth the wrinkle out.

Has this been a successful approach in the past?

Or perhaps is it worth taking the player to a professional restorer? would it be worth it?

One of the photos shows a close up of a wrinkled panel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807_145929.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	147498   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807_150003.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	147499   Click image for larger version