View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 12:22 pm   #1
vic0239
Tetrode

Default Ferguson 621U - help needed

Not posted in this part of the forum previously, but would appreciate some advice from the experts.

Whether wisely or not I purchased a Ferguson model 621 U (schedule D) mainly because I liked the look of it and it was described as "working well". On arrival it was dead and I found that the UY85 had not survived the journey, it was out of the socket and its heater o/c. While waiting for a replacement I removed the chassis from the case and set about cleaning many years of muck from everything I could and gave the components a cursory examination. Nothing looks untoward to my untrained eye and when the new valve arrived the set sprang to life and I can receive stations on FM and faintly on MW.

However, my issue is that I noticed that the wire coil L8 is broken and I was wondering what the best repair option would be. Could I carefully solder the two ends together or would that damage the ferrite rod?

There aren't many previous threads on this set, so I'm unsure what else I might need to change. I've checked the mains cable is wired correctly and will probably remove the external loudspeaker connection. Should I change C54 as well?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this is my first restoration!

Thanks ... Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	169948