View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2019, 6:36 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Single-ended Transistor amps.

I'm looking at the Linsley Hood circuit right now, as a possible path. It has some significant attractions. But remember that my [historically explosion-damaged] hearing means I'm not after "Hi-Fi".

As Argus25 mentions, single-ended transformer/choke-load amps can potentially 'spike' and deliver excessive (possibly fatal) instantaeous Vce to the output-device [In times-past when I built 3.5MHz transmitters using an AUY10 as the PA-transistor I lost a couple of these when the antenna became disconnected and the 'tank' circuit turned into a 100%-reflected-energy resonant circuit].

Given that I'm likely to be driving this beastie to the point where on peaks the collector-current gets cut-off, my mindset is to include 'clamp' diodes across the output to minimise the risk of this (remembering how many 1980s/1990s VMOS power-transistors had built-in Zeners to protect against excessive back-EMF).

I've just dug out an old PCB (recovered from a commercial-duty A3 laser-printer a while back) which has a couple of nice little heatsinks. Seeing these, I'm thinking perhaps I should aim for 10 Watts of audio-output?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slab.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	192101