View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2020, 6:22 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Is Radio as we know it obsolescent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
In our town (Wrexham), we have a station called 'Calon FM', it's inside the University and broadcasts all sorts of stuff, sadly it's only outputting 25 watts. I live about 4 miles away and can't receive it, it's mainly aimed at the town centre and surrounding areas.
I've just listed to Calon on my PC, and you could on your PC or an internet radio. I doubt if there is any radio station transmitting on an RF frequency which is not streaming (oh, I forgot, Radio 5 does not - figure that one ! -something to do with sports coverage rights).

As for the American NPR subscriber model, I listen to quite a few NPR stations, most of the large cities have at least a couple, and towns and sometimes universities will have one. They are a little bit like Radio4, but giving up some time to local stuff. They seem to be holding their own in terms of survival; I don't recall of any of them collapsing. Of course, subscription is voluntary, but not necessary to be a listener.
But especially in the present era, I think that many Americans are very glad NPR is there and not commercially controlled with political affiliations.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 24th Sep 2020 at 6:32 pm.