View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 10:49 am   #12
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: Unfair use of service manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
I'm not sure how https://www.americanradiohistory.com/ has managed this trick, because it has a complete downloadable set of Wireless World and Practical Wireless (along with hundreds of other radio magazines).
Obviously you really ought to ask the copyright holder before making anything publicly available. However I suspect that the market for 30-year old Practical Wirelesses is quite small so the publisher isn't losing out on anything and probably couldn't care less. The same applies to old service manuals. I guess it may be difficult to determine who owns the copyright anyway if a company no longer exists. Making them available along with a note that they will be removed immediately if the copyright owner requests it is probably the most pragmatic way.

The original post didn't make it clear whether the seller had stolen the manuals from somewhere or scanned them in himself. If he scanned them himself then I don't have any problem with him selling them although I'd never buy them if I could get them free somewhere else. As for selling service manuals stolen from somewhere else, such people are despicable. However if the info is available elsewhere free of charge you don't need to buy from them. Just google a bit more (or duckduckgo if you don't want your data stolen)

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs