View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2019, 1:39 pm   #29
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: BBC website obsolete technology that's not.

I was the most interested in comments about the Pager and its hospital role! Members may recall the Stephen Poliakoff series [Summer of Rockets] on BBC2 in June. This had a storyline about the invention of this device and its introduction into the hospital environment. There's a thread about this and other bits of vintage kit that appeared. Given the difficulties of running such an enormous and vital organisation, I'm thinking of the principle, espoused by Hunikin in particular, "If it ain't fixed don't break it". The article makes a point of saying that the Pager signal seems to reach the parts that mobile phones can't. A sensible observation in an otherwise, slightly patronising, perky piece aimed at the new trendy audience the Beeb always imagines it should catch up with. Very W1A for those who haven't seen that BBC based comedy [documentary]. A member commented recently, during a discussion about the new "BBC Sounds/I Player" now not working on many listener's devices, that people in BH live in a world of new phones etc every six months. That means [ironically] that they may be the ones actually out of touch with the audience!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Oct 2019 at 1:51 pm.