View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2021, 6:24 pm   #15
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: DC Mains on Pre-War TV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I seem to remember that in that ACE radiogram, the radio/amplifier was an AC/DC mains design, heaters in series, rectify the mains to get the HT+. So the converter only supplied the turntable motor.
They made record decks with DC motors. The famous Garrard RC75 was made with a brush type motor. I was asked to have a look at one a few years ago - I hadn't come across one like this before. I don't know what the original arrangement was, but there was a large(ish) rheostat in a cage on the underneath of the deck plate, so the motor must have been some lower voltage than you'd normally expect. The motor wouldn't run properly at any voltage and seemed to have shorted turns somewhere on the armature, so just wasn't worth messing about with. I told the owner that if he could source a good AC motor for the deck then I'd fit it for him. He did come up with a replacement motor - from the States, it was 110/120 volts 60 Hz, so after re-linking the windings on the motor for UK mains, I swapped the pully from the old DC motor to correct the speed and the deck worked perfectly. The old motor I think was AC/DC, as there was no rectifier fitted anywhere. This was over ten years ago, so struggling to remember the finer details.