View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:07 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: DC Mains on Pre-War TV's

As David has mentioned the preferred method of conversion would have been the rotary converter. I have some EMI TV data somewhere that actually mentions this.

Radiograms were often run this way from DC mains. I'm not sure of the make but it might have been McCarthy [David tells me it was an ACE] that produced a radiogram with an electronic converter mounted in the base of the cabinet utilizing two 50CD6G power line output valves.

During the early to mid 1960's I had a mate with a shop in York Road Battersea London. He was on DC mains making it very difficult to demonstrate equipment especially record players etc.

He had two very large what looked like soundproofed [!] rabbit hutches in the back yard that made quite a racket giving out a crude AC to power the display area. It was far from perfect probably due to the lack of maintenance of the motor generators. They gave a very smooth output when properly maintained.

The shop was demolished soon after to make way for local authority flats. I think that was probably the last domestic DC in the London area. John.