View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:33 am   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Simple method to mark calibration and functions externally on a case?

The title of the thread is 'simple method'. I'd say that the simplest is to use a label printing machine, printing black lettering onto white strip, applied to a white sprayed panel. If the label is trimmed close to the text, it isn't visible as a 'stuck on' label.Label-makers usually have several fonts in several sizes, and the text can be underlined, capitalized and in a box if desired.

In my experience, the most difficult, time consuming and least presentable (and least durable unless protected) method is to use Letraset.

I've used it extensively over the years when there was no alternative, and with considerable care in exactly placing each letter or number, it can look acceptable. If you need circles or other symbols not in Letraset, you have to use say a Uno pen with Indian Ink or some such thing. If you misalign a letter or number, you have to carefully scratch it off with a razor blade or small scalpel type craft knife. You are limited to the size of text and font.

I've attached some pics of projects that I've made using Letraset some years ago, but time has moved on and nowadays I'd design and print onto paper, 'fix' the ink with clear acrylic spray, would then laminate and cover with a clear acrylic panel. Alternatively, I've occasionally stuck the paper onto the front panel with clear 'Fablon'. For small projects - up to say 3 inches x 4 inches, by far the easiest method nowadays is to print the design onto water-slide transfer paper - a topic that's been extensively covered on the forum. The main skill is in applying the transfer. Above 4" x 3" it can be a bit of a challenge to apply the transfer without stretching. Once applied, the transfers are far more durable than might be imagined.

With computer generated designs, the spacing can be adjusted, text or numbers can be 'arched', there's a wide range of font types and sizes, you can print off the design and if not happy, can amend it as desired, and can print colours.

First pic is of the PW 'Testmaster' from the 1970s. (I had to do it twice. First time, the clear Letraset lacquer floated off some of the lettering).
Second pic is of the Radcom Frequency Counter (1976). On top of it is a M.W. Modulator from EPE Magazine, designed by forum member Stef, 'Saddlestone Man'.
I designed and printed that on paper stuck it to the aluminium front panel and covered it with clear acrylic.
Third pic is of a 1 MHz square/sine/triangle wave 8038 Waveform Generator.
Fourth pic is of a 10 MHz MAX038 waveform generator.
The last pic is a panel I designed for a precision Voltage reference. Printed on paper, stuck on the aluminium front panel and covered in clear Fablon.

I hope that might be of help and interest.

Good luck in your efforts Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Master front.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	157406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsplay of 650kHz VFO frequency_edited-1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	157407   Click image for larger version

Name:	8038 Generator.jpg