View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2018, 1:44 am   #10
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Simple method to mark calibration and functions externally on a case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Yes one can purchase a LOT of Letraset for that money, but in my experience it starts peeling off immediately, the original Letraset spray also went grubby after a little use.
Yes I agree with this. The Letraset needs a covering with varnish, so at one point I had been using varnish applied over it with a small artist's brush, but of course the varnish edge was visible and with time the varnish could yellow.

The other method was to spray the entire panel with Holts DS117 clear lacquer instead, but that does not suit all surfaces which is why, in the end, I abandoned Letraset and went for the Brother labels. The adhesive on these is excellent and there is seldom any issue with peeling too.

Still, it is hard to beat proper screen printing and harder to beat engraving.

The best example of engraving I have seen is the acrylic panels on some vintage Marconi video monitors. The panel is engraved from the rear and filled with white paint. The rear of the panel then sprayed black. Small holes perhaps 5 or 6mm dia with polished edges are placed at intervals, with a lamp with a screw cover over it to mask the light. The light travels by total internal reflection inside the panel, strikes the white writing and it stands out fantastically on the black background. Once you have seen a panel like this it makes all other methods look inferior. The edge lighting can also be done with light from the panel sides.

One other way I have done entire radio dials with multiple markings is to simply draw it as a jpeg in Microsoft picture it software, take it to a Stickerman shop, they convert it to a vector file and print it on to a transparent plastic sticker. All of my radio project dials were done this way.

Last edited by Argus25; 15th Feb 2018 at 1:58 am.