View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 8:53 pm   #20
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Single phase ex-avionics motor start up?!

Hugo: thank you for the link. I have experience of this excellent series of capacitors and use them in the development of my pulse project - I've selected them in series/parallel for the tank circuit because of their high dV/dT rating and ability to handle very high currents. I wouldn’t have known to select this as a candidate for this motor-start/ run function, so much appreciated.

David: really fascinating insight into why this thing appears to a layman like me to be mysteriously over-powered. It was in a snug, 50kg radar system by Racal and its duty was to get some serious airflow to a Klystron, although it probably doubled as the main cooling unit for the entire electronics . The magnetron had a forced-air arrangement with what I think are called muffin fans.

I think I will get it going, next in the queue after my current project. It would be interesting to see how much heat it could take off a bank of IGBT’s hard-switching something, or just a big old bit of hot glass and vacuum.

Everyone: Newton's third law is highly relevant here, right? It might take some back-of-the envelope calculation to work out a suitable mounting and attached to a suitable anchor for such a little power-house. It obviously isn't completely trivial.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 13th Feb 2018 at 9:05 pm.