View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2019, 8:44 pm   #27
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: CPC has slashed its stocklist of IC's

I have bought heaps of bits from CPC over the last 30 years when I was manufacturing, but that is winding down, so are the orders.

But I found them to be a reliable supplier. If you order more than about £50 worth then you get the next day delivery. But, since whoever bought them that has changed.

The best bit of CPC is the bargain list, 100m 16mm brown copper cable for £18 anyone? So poor I couldn't afford to buy them all, just one.

Seems to me this is like Aldi and Lidl. They only stock the basic items, like CPC, if you want the exotic then you use Tesco etc, or Farnell. But they need the turnover to make a profit and pay for all the staff, or go bust. So CPC and Farnell are slowly shrinking, as are Tesco etc. In 10 years we might regret the cost is everything attitude. Just read a story about Montrecon in Spain (think that is the name, can't find the story at the moment) who would make their own stuff, not buy for 2p cheaper off the other suppliers. Seem to be doing ok.

The reality seems to be that no one makes anything now. I was amazed at the Hobbies catalogue, see other post, so perhaps I am wrong. But when there are more adverts for kits to make model steam engines, £4775, than castings suppliers it seems something is out of balance.