View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 10:35 pm   #132
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

Quote:
a TV22 on in the window
If that is the TV22 that has been at Gerry's since the early 90's, it was the one my uncle David gave to me in the late 70's, on which I watched the closedown of 405. I have some pictures of that moment somewhere. It was not until a couple of years later that it was fired up once again on the output of the analogue converter. It's great to hear of the party at Gerry's, well done to all who helped make an occasion of it. I missed the whole CP closedown process as (ironically) I was returning on a late flight from Dublin where we had spent the day upgrading a building-wide IPTV system.

I could not help thinking during the day, as we twiddled with MPEG-2 encoded streams being squashed down to the minimum bitrate to allow dozens of connections from each gigabit port, that it was a step backwards. Even HD, crammed into 10Mbps of MPEG-4 (or worse, upsampled 720 over an HD channel where all the bandwith is being used up to encode the artefacts) looked like a crude, 'painting-by-numbers' imitation of the clean, natural pictures I had grown up with in the bygone era of analogue broadcast.

Yes, bygone era, it took a while to sink in.

Lucien