View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 12:12 pm   #13
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: 'Danger Man' aboard the estuary forts (Radio 390)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It was good to watch this in its entirety after more than 50 years. The only scene I could remember was that with the generator set.

In the locked room I think I recognised a Pye base station and a KW rig of some kind.

My understanding is that with the exception of "He who rides a tiger" and the Strauss Waltz, all the songs played on air were specially composed and recorded for this episode. Perhaps they couldn't afford the royalties for genuine stuff?
Yes the problem is, they may easily secure the right to play a well known record for the initial transmission, but later when it may require a repeat or sale to a foreign territory the rights issues become an absolute minefield.

As we know the Beatles were very strict in not allowing their music to end up in films or commercials, however John Lennon became a fan of The Prisoner and was quite happy to grant 'rights in perpetuity' to All you need is love in the final episode.

Later on, when McCartney lost of control of his Beatles' songs to Michael Jackson, some did end up in American commercials IIRC, something that McCartney immediately went on the war path to try and get back ownership of his own songs.