View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2019, 12:27 pm   #17
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Damaged vintage variac

OK, I think it is time to move on so I have started to dismantle the variac to see whether it can be salvaged. I got as far as removing the knob and dial and the retaining nuts from the top plate. Removing the handle was a matter of removing the two retaining grub screws set unto the metal collar and through the plastic/Bakelite to grip the shaft. I cannot remove the two screws that are set into the plastic handle itself and so at present cannot remove the handle from the shaft. It is rather loose and would want to make sure that it is firmly attached when I re-assemble. I am hoping that a little WD40 will do the trick.

Should the top plate now slide off? Before tapping it with a hammer or anything else I want to ask for advice as to what to do next and where to apply any leverage (if necessary - I was hoping not) as I don't want to risk damaging anything.

I did notice that there are a couple of screws securing the rotor/wiper assembly, I think, to some part of the centre Bakelite/plastic shaft or spindle, but am still a little unclear as to whether the rotor is meant to come off together with the top plate or whether this is a separate component.

The first photo is the top view and shows just how dirty it is. The next one shows the rotor and wiper assembly which is seized. The contact bridge can clearly be seen to the right and also in the 3rd photo, but that wire braid would surely catch it? Perhaps it doesn't rotate past that point. I won't know until I manage to free it. The fourth and fifth photos show the base. It looks a bit cleaner, but the bend can clearly be seen. I was hoping that I can remove the base but this seems to require disassembly from the top side.

If anyone has an idea as to how I can remove the top, it would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair-01.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	194994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair-02.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	194995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair-03.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	194996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair-04.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	194997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair-06.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	194998  

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 7th Dec 2019 at 12:33 pm.