View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 11:26 pm   #26
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Painted Bakelite and paint stripper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
In my day-job before I retired, I worked in a chemical research lab and could access dichloromethane and many other "dangerous" chemicals. I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry. Am I qualified to use dichloromethane-based paint stripper?

Colin.
I was working in a workshop once and a fellow from the institution wandered in and asked to use the drill press to drill a hole in a rectangular aluminium panel, he had a double doctorate. He managed after some time to get the drill into the chuck and set the stage to the right height, but when he lowered the drill onto the plate, the plate started to rotate. He kept pressing it down and watching it spin around (because he had not held or clamped the plate) and wondered why he couldn't drill the hole.

So regardless of the qualification level , there is still no substitute for training & experience it would appear. This is why it is also preferable that your surgeon has done thousands of the same type of case, if you are able to get that, especially operating on a high risk area.