View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 10:18 pm   #16
Gabe001
Octode

Default Re: The mouth of hell - a KB MR10 story

Just a little update on this set.

I had to go back in fix what turned out to be a loose contact on the waveband switch, which is now sorted. The dismantling process cost me the spindle on the waveband switch which was re-glued and encased in milliput and has held up well so far.

The ribbon FM aerial from eBay wasn't as good as I expected, so in the end I removed it and reverted back to using a wire, about 5 feet long, as a VHF aerial instead. This wire is hidden behind the set and behind the kitchen appliances and is not visible.

I am pretty pleased with the overall performance. I almost exclusively use it on FM. It has deposed the bush dac90a as the kitchen radio (the latter was used mainly to listen to BBC R4 in the mornings) and it gets regular use.

From the reviews and previous comments I certainly didn't expect much in terms of performance to start with, but I was pleasantly surprised. With the current arrangement it has got a pretty full vhf waveband and it's more than fit for purpose as a small kitchen set. It's not a hacker mayflower but it doesn't aspire to be one either.

Hope this helps someone. I think this project is finished now.

Gabriel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201202_201155.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	221709