View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2019, 4:59 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile What to do with some cracked valves ?

Good afternoon,
I have been going through a couple of boxes of odd valves that I bought from the Felixstowe radio rally last Sunday. There are a couple of B9a valves that have cracked across the pins meaning they are obviously useless.

I don't like throwing anything vintage away and so I very carefully disassembled them in the reverse order that they were originally assembled. I find dismantling them and reverse engineering them rather fascinating. Wonder how bored the ladies on the valve assembling lines at Mullard got after spending days threading cathodes, grids and anodes into jigs?

I now have a complete set of bits other than the glass envelope (that got destroyed!) that I can mount with fine enamelled copper wire (I unwound a little O/C synchronous motor) onto thick white paper and make a display which is similar to the displays that Mullard made with an EF80 and for almost free!!. I think somewhere like Hobbycraft would sell a deep glass fronted picture frame to mount the display in to keep the dust out!!

By the way if anyone has any deceased valves that have no vacuum ECT. you could always let me play with them !!

Christopher Capener