View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 5:38 pm   #10
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrolytic capacitor fails after 1 hour in service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
This sort of thing doesn't surprise me as after seeing electrolytic caps fail in multiple ways so many times. In theory at least most of the high frequency ripple should have been bypassed by the 100nF.
Hey Hugo, it is somewhat reassuring that this is familiar territory to you in relation to electrolytics!

Quote:
I guess for the replacement you could put a 1uF poly across it might help a little.
Ahah, good thinking, thank you.

Quote:
I'd also be cautious applying 30v x 4A or 120W to the the capacitor for more than a second or two, it will heat up pronto and explode its rubber seal and spray its guts all over the room.
Exactly! I was just sweeping the voltage up steadily from my power supply and it became leakier and leakier. It's a one-shot experiment and I took the precaution of covering it with a ceramic cup (as in my empty tea mug). I don't have an ESR meter, so I rely for these things on the current being displayed on my DC power supply.

I do suspect it's a clone. It's a very high rep name on there, and I don't even want to mention it.

I feel pleased with my instinct to suspect the cap. rather than the driver chip or the MOSFET it was driving. It would have been expensive to bin the chip, if I'd jumped to the conclusion in error that it had developed a fault condition...

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 1st Dec 2017 at 5:57 pm.