View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 12:27 pm   #1488
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Fisher View Post
To those who have built themselves a Sussex VT1 using the new boards, I have a question that relates to the Voltage Selector switches and the way they are shown in post #1282 on page 65.

The resistors are shown mounted on the opposite side of the little board to the switch and seem a bit vulnerable to being bent over creating faults and shorts. I was thinking if the resistors were mounted on the same side of the board as the switch they would be better protected.
The most important aspect to follow when mounting the switches has already been mentioned by G8UWM-MildMartin in his previous post, enough distance to the front panel - you could also put a plastic sheet behind the front panel if you wish to mount the resistors on the switch side to increase the isolation to the front panel.

If you are afraid that the resistors should become shorted in any way you can always put a piece of heat shrink tubing around each resistor or put a dab of silicone glue "binding" them together so they can't move.

I tried to place the resistors so that they shouldn't be able to move around if they are soldered tight to the circuit board, you might turn some resistors 180 degrees around so that any pins that could short be moved as far from each other and so that pins that don't matter if they short moves closer (pins already connected on the PCB).

I never did build a Sussex myself but tested the PCBs by placing components on them to make sure that they would work and would be possible to solder and use properly.

/Martin