View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2021, 9:07 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Back Panel Reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Not a single request for the '90A.

I know I am stating the obvious but the Bush DAC90A back doesn't suffer heat damage like the DAC90 does. I have yet to find a 90 without some damage to the back from the dropper. I have never seen a burnt one on a 90A though and if missing there are usually a few spares about from scrap sets as due to it's long production run there are still many sets and parts of sets around.

Maybe that is why there was no interest? I would expect there to be a market for the 90 Back though. There is (or was) a seller on ebay offering a repair section or a repaired 90 back on a exchange basis.

I would expect there would be a limited market for replacement backs for the Tesla Talisman as they also suffer heat damage and due to the shape are harder to repair than a Bush back but probably not so many sets around in this country as the Bush DAC90...
Rich
I've re-checked what Neil offered, and it was in fact DAC90 backs, so it was my mistake in saying they were DAC90As.

As you say Rich, there is an eBay listing by another seller for a top RH corner repair panel. I won't give the link - but they're described as:

'VINTAGE BUSH DAC90 RADIO CNC MACHINED BACK PANEL REPAIR CORNER'.

Here is what Neil said:

Quote:

"I know there's a demand for radio panels so I've made some using MDF, DAC90 £12 each including post, message if interested".

Unquote.

He went on to say:

Quote:

" If can get a scanned image of a panel and the dimensions I can make virtually any panel, even if the panel is too big for the flatbed scanner I can piece multi images together, so far I have made: Wartime Civilian Receiver, DAC90, DAC90A, AC91, AC31, AC41, PB12, Philips B2G81U, GEC BC5441, Pye P93WU".

Unquote.

On 8 July 2017 Neil stated:

Quote:

"I'll put something on services offered as the panels I make cover a lot more models now due to the help of forum members, a big thank you to everyone who sent me scans, keep them coming".

Unquote.

To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a listing, so for whatever reason, I guess Neil had a change of heart, and refocused his efforts on his slate signs.

As to the Tesla Talisman, Ben Djikman does superb ones for the 308U at a price which properly reflects the set-up and production costs for small runs:

https://www.bendijkman.nl/tesla-308u?ipath=11

I think for most radios with missing backs, (knobs, dials), the best that can be hoped for is that one will turn up from a scrap radio, but if the radio isn't commonplace, the chances are slim.

Good luck to Stephen in his quest.