View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2021, 3:08 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Humming Studer A807

Hi all. I own a Studer A807 MkII which is in very good working condition. It does have one very annoying problem though. In play or record it develops a very pronounced hum. It is not a steady sound, more an oscillating hum but I do not think its the capstan motor. If I lift the tape tension arm up slightly the hum disappears but as soon as I let it down the hum returns. (There is quite a lot of tension there.) If it try and adjust the height of the tension arm with the trimmer it makes no difference to the noise. I've checked all along the tape path for something rubbing or sticking but its all running perfectly and in ff and rw there is no noise.
Would anyone have any idea what could cause this? Since I've had the machine the noise has been there but new hearing aids is making it more obvious . Could it be a component in the tensioning, is there any adjustments on this board?
I have been told that these machines were made to last and usually were operated in machine rooms where any ancillory noises didn't matter. I can't believe that Studer would be that slap-dash in their approach though.
It is really irritating as the machine records and plays beautifully (apart from the hum that is ).