View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2021, 7:54 pm   #66
whyperion
Hexode

Default Re: Vortexion WVB smoking component..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
1. Why do I have to adjust the "Record level" chicken head knob as well as the "volume" knob in order to get the loudest volume. Is the "volume" knob more of a "gain" control ?
Steve.
Looking at the WVB Mk. II schematic (the only WVB schematic I can see) this functionality appears "as designed". The Record level control is always connected to the control grid of the second EF86 so will always affect the playback volume as well as the Playback volume control when the Record switch is set to PB (The Monitor switch has to be set to Aft Rec). I do not really understand why it operates this way.

It would certainly help if a manual could be located to understand better the intended operation.

With respect to the audio / record circuit . My father built an amplifier based on the Vortexion set-up which is completely independent of a tape recorder ( he hooked it to a BSR TD10), I dont know if this was before he worked at Vortexion (he was at Venner Time Switches before spending a short while at Vortexion). It uses similar principles of mulitple Inputs - for shielded Ribbon Mike, Gram and other mike or tape playback or line in, and has an adjustable bias (for tape, not tubes), circuit erase, and a monitor function - which basically seems to be an audio output before final amplification while the record signal goes out on another modified output line, but its not , so far as I can see, a monitoring of the signal laid down on the tape (not least because the TD10 does not have a third head , and I dont think the input signal takes a different path to the monitor compared to the record signal - I suppose I could modify the amp to the WV (Wearite Vortexion) full circuitry). The amp was badged 'Mayfair' and was either an internal reference design to Vortexion or something from the likes of Practical Wireless or similar.