View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2020, 11:26 am   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: AVO CT160. Supply set function does not work

Aye Lawrence, I'm sure you would have enjoyed working at Sealand. I had several RAF chums who worked there & they were jolly happy. When I was an electronics instructor down the road at Cosford, I used to pop up to Sealand now & then, to see how recently qualified technicians & fitters were settling in. They too enjoyed their work. Chester & west Cheshire & nearby north Wales & north Shropshire is a lovely area. As a boy in Liverpool, I used to visit Chester with my parents now & then, and loved the place.
Right enough Graham, best be safe than sorry. In recent years, CT160's have become a cult item in audiophile(some say audiophool) circles, hence the mercenary speculative prices being asked on internet sites. However, they are all about 60 years old & may have had a busy military life in all three services. Trouble is, they are just a VCM MK3 squeezed into a confined military spec clamshell case, with just one(sometimes overworked) complicated mains transformer, instead of two. Their delicate 30uA meters let them down. Hence, when I used to service & repair them in the RAF(Jesus - 50 odd years ago), meters were regularly needing changing.
Its over ten years ago since I sent a duff 30uA meter to Benchmark, so that they could take measurements & get a good scan of the faceplate. So fingers crossed that they can help you. However, other VCM enthusiasts have had success with other meter manufacturers. So its worth checking out their past thread posts.

Regards, David