View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 4:04 pm   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Bradford museum exhibit changes

The blatant removal of the photographic collection to London against a great deal of local and national opposition, flagged up what was going to happen-the beginning of the end if you like or "levelling down". I used to visit with my lads when some of the Hunkin [p12] models were on exhibit, eg the TV interlace demonstrated by rows of string and a cardboard red flying spot moved along by turning a handle. Basic but effective! There was also a great micro to Macro electronic screen that took you from atoms to the Galaxies and back again. You could fly on a magic carpet too [back projection].

I recall being there once and trying to decide whether I could afford to buy a book about Tarkovsky, the Russian film maker. I went in search of a Guardian very late in the day but finally found one [just around the corner]. When I opened it at the Museum Cafe I saw that he had just died of cancer, having been exiled from both Russia and his son. I made a puchase! Around 1990 I took my son to see 2001 A Space Odyssey on the Museum's huge five story screen. We were near the projection booth and could see the 70mm film being projected from a flat bed set up "Horizontally" [literally widescreen]

For some reason this great work was out of favour here and they could only source a print from Sweden [with swedish sub-titles]. Despite this and the slightly disconcerting fact that the huge print still only covered the middle fifth of the screen, it was enjoyable to get there in the end and watch it. We only just managed that as I was fatigued with M E at the time which could lead to confusion. I remember going around the roundabout in Bradford centre a few times with my son saying "it's over there Dad!" Funny now but not so much at the time

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Sep 2022 at 4:11 pm.